An employee was automatically unfairly dismissed because of his union activities even though...
Improved support for disabled people at work
An overhaul of statutory sick pay (SSP) and incentives for those employers who help sick staff get back to work are among a range of measures to be introduced to help disabled employees.
A consultation to be published in July 2019 will explore:
- reforming SSP so it is better enforced, more flexible to encourage a phased return to work and covers the lowest paid
- offering SME employers a conditional rebate to support those who manage staff on sickness absence and help them get back to work, and
- giving employees rights to request workplace modifications on health grounds
The government has also published research looking at:
- the behaviours and attitudes of employers in terms of the provision of health and wellbeing initiatives for employees
- the risks and costs faced by employers when implementing these initiatives and the barriers preventing their implementation
- approaches to sickness absence management
- occupational health provision, and
- types of sick pay